Apply for recognition of foreign professional qualifications (third country) as an anesthesiological assistant am Standort Landesprüfungsamt für Gesundheitsberufe (Anerkennung ausländischer Gesundheitsfachberufe)

 Larger map


  • Landesamt für Gesundheit und Soziales (LAGeSo)
  • Landesprüfungsamt für Gesundheitsberufe (Anerkennung ausländischer Gesundheitsfachberufe)
  • Turmstraße 21 10559 Berlin
  • Mailing address
    Postfach 31 09 29 - IV A 4, 10639 Berlin
  • Tel.: (030) 90229-2144
  • Fax: (030) 90229-2094
  • Home page

Opening hours

  • Tuesday

      13:00-15:00 Uhr (Telefonsprechzeit)
  • Thursday

      13:00-15:00 Uhr (Telefonsprechzeit)

Changes in opening hours

Das Referat für die Anerkennung ausländischer Gesundheitsfachberufe/Landesprüfungsamt ist telefonisch zu den oben genannten Telefonsprechzeiten, elektronisch oder schriftlich zu erreichen. Eine Präsenz-Beratung ist derzeit nur nach individueller Terminvereinbarung möglich. Hierzu wenden Sie sich an den E-Mail-Kontakt: Unterlagen können per Post übersandt oder jederzeit in den Hausbriefkasten in der Turmstr. 21, Haus A, 10559 Berlin, eingeworfen werden.


Information on the address of this location

Haus A

Payment options

  • Eine Bezahlung ist nicht vorgesehen


Apply for recognition of foreign professional qualifications (third country) as an anesthesiological assistant

Anaesthesia assistants are involved in the preparation, implementation and aftercare of anaesthesia. The activities include the independent organisation and coordination of the work processes in the anaesthesia area in cooperation with all professional groups involved. They care for and monitor the anaesthetised patients competently during the operation and pay attention to their physical and mental condition. Anaesthesia assistants work in hospitals as well as in medical institutions.

The profession of anaesthesia technical assistant is regulated in Germany. This means that in order to work as an anaesthesia technical assistant in Germany, you need a state permit. This permit allows you to use the professional title of anaesthesia technical assistant and to work in the profession.

Even with a professional qualification from a so-called third country, you can obtain a state permit from the competent authority in Germany. Third countries are all countries that do not belong to the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

To obtain the permit, you must have your foreign professional qualification recognized.

In the recognition procedure, the competent body compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. The equivalence of the professional qualification is an important prerequisite for the granting of the state permit. In addition to the equivalence of the professional qualification, you must fulfill other requirements for the issuance of the permit. Further requirements are, for example, sufficient German language skills and health suitability.

If your professional qualification originates from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, other regulations apply.

You can also submit the application for the procedure from abroad.

Translated with (free version)

1. Application
You submit an application for permission to use the professional title of anesthesia technician to the responsible office.

2. Checking the equivalence
The competent body will then check whether you meet all the requirements. One important requirement is the equivalence of your professional qualification. The competent body compares your professional qualification from abroad with your German professional qualification as an anesthesia technician. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.

Translated with (free version)

3. Possible results of the examination
If your professional qualification is equivalent, your foreign professional qualification will be recognized. The competent body can confirm the result to you in writing. You still have to fulfill the other requirements. Then you will receive permission to use the professional title of anesthesia technical assistant.
  • Are there any significant differences between your professional qualification and the German professional qualification? You may be able to compensate for the differences through your professional practice, other knowledge or skills (lifelong learning). You have to prove the professional practice. Knowledge and skills must be certified by an authority of the state in which you acquired the knowledge or skills.
  • However, it may be that the essential differences cannot be compensated by this knowledge. Then your foreign professional qualification will not be recognized. You will then not be allowed to work as an anesthesia technician in Germany.
  • However, the responsible office will tell you the essential differences and why you cannot compensate for the essential differences through your professional practice. In most cases, you can make a compensatory measure. This will allow you to compensate for the essential differences.
4. Compensatory measures
There are various compensatory measures:
  • Adaptation course: the adaptation course lasts a maximum of three years.
  • Knowledge examination: The knowledge examination tests your knowledge in specific subjects and areas. The knowledge examination includes an oral and practical part. The practical part of the examination is combined with an examination interview.

You can choose between an adaptation course or a knowledge test.

If you successfully complete the compensatory measure and meet all other requirements, you will receive permission to use the occupational title of anesthesia technical assistant.


  • Training in the health care profession completed in a third country that is equivalent to German training or an equivalent level of knowledge
    The equivalence of the level of knowledge must be proven, if necessary, by an examination or an adaptation course
  • Health fitness
  • Evidence of reliability and worthiness for the practice of the health profession.
  • Sufficient knowledge of German level B 2
  • Proof of responsibility

Documents required

  • Application for permission to use the professional title in case of training in a third country
  • Proof of responsibility for the Land of Berlin
    (e.g. confirmation of employment, proof of habitual residence in the Land of Berlin / main residence if applicable, applications for vacancies in the Land of Berlin, invitations to job interviews)
  • Curriculum vitae in tabular form with signature and date
  • Birth certificate and, if applicable, name change certificates
  • Proof of identity (valid identity card or passport)
  • Certificate of good conduct for presentation to an authority
    To verify personal reliability, information from the Federal Central Register (certificate of good conduct) is required for submission to an authority (document type O).
    The information must not be older than three months.
  • Certificate of Good Conduct/Certificate of Clearance of Offences
    of the police or judicial authorities of the home country, if applicable, of the study country (if presented, not older than 3 months)
  • Certificate of good standing from the country of origin
    of the competent authority of the country in which the profession was practised (if presented, not older than 3 months)
  • Medical certificate from a doctor licensed in Germany
    (not older than 3 months if presented)
  • Documents about the training course and training degree with German translation
    (see checklist for the granting of a permit to use the professional title for medical professions in the case of training in a third country)
  • Certificate B 2 on knowledge of the German language
    Certificate from Goethe Institute, telc (telc certificates from Serbian language schools will no longer be recognized after 01.09.2022), TestDaf or ECL certified language school; not older than 3 years. Note: The submitted language certificates will be checked for authenticity and accuracy.
    It is not necessary to submit the language certificates already at the time of application.
  • Official certification of copies
    If copies are submitted, they must be officially certified. In the case of copies without official certification, the simultaneous submission of the originals is required.


EUR 164.00

Average time to process request

approx. 3-4 months, if all documents are complete

Hinweise zur Zuständigkeit

Permission to use the professional title is only granted by the Berlin State Office for Health and Social Affairs.


Stellen Sie unserem Chatbot Bobbi Ihre Fragen.