Weapons legislation – Applying for an ammunition acquisition permit
An ammunition acquisition permit is granted for a particular type of ammunition if it cannot be entered on an arms possession card. Alternatively, ammunition collectors and experts can also request to have a collection area of area of expertise entered.
For acquiring ammunition, the ammunition acquisition permit is valid for a limited period of six years, however, it remains effective indefinitely with regard to owning such ammunition.
A security container without classification made of sheet steel and featuring a swing bolt lock or equivalent is the required minimum for keeping ammunition.
- Minimum age: usually 18 years
- Personal suitability
The competency test can be taken:
- with officially approved commercial providers,
- at rifle associations (for their members),
- as part of a hunting examination (for prospective hunters),
- as part of a qualification test with the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (if a weapons trading permit/weapons production permit was applied for).
Necessity according to weapons legislation
Weapons Act (WaffG) §8, §14
Application for an ammunition acquisition permit
Can be completed online; or you can use the form.
- Online processing: please keep all required documents and certificates ready for upload in PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG or DOCX format. The files should be named as follows: firstname_surname_description.pdf
- As an alternative, you may submit the application by postal mail or e-mail: please post or email the signed application and all certificates and personal documents to the weapons authority of the Berlin police.
Identity card or passport
As a photocopy or photograph
- Proof of need
Proof of competence
There is no separate proof of competence for ammunition acquisition permits. Anyone who as obtained a proof of competence, e.g. as a sports marksman, can use the corresponding certificate.
Certificate of safe storage
The purchase receipt or a photo of the container must be presented as proof of legally compliant storage of the ammunition.
Any previous registered addresses
If you lived outside Berlin in the past 5 years, please keep all addresses at hand as you will need to enter these in the application.
The application is subject to a fee. You will receive a notification of charges. Further processing will take place after receipt of payment. Up to 50% of the costs will be charged in the event of a negative decision.
- EUR 56.00: ammunition acquisition permit for a natural person
- EUR 304.00: ammunition acquisition permit for ammunition collectors or ammunition experts without an existing arms possession card in the same context
- EUR 39.00: ammunition acquisition permit for ammunition collectors or ammunition experts with an existing arms possession card in the same context
- EUR 61.00: every three years, for regular reliability reviews
- EUR 45.00: every five years, for verification of continued need