Weapons legislation – Applying for/renewing a European Firearms Pass
The EFP is not an independent permit for acquiring or owning weapons/weapon parts and the corresponding ammunition. The European Firearms Pass is only valid in combination with a previously granted possession permit (e.g. arms possession card) and its only purpose is to govern movement.
In the sense of weapons law, a weapon or ammunition is moved, whenever somebody possesses a weapon and takes it with them temporarily
- when travelling,
- uses it in another country or outside the territory where German law applies and then brings it back.
You can apply for the following services
- Issuance of a EFP
- Renewal of an existing EFP before expiration of its validity period. (If renewal of a EFP is requested after expiration of its validity period, this is not considered a renewal but re-granting. In this case, you need to choose the option “issuance” in the application.)
- Entry of weapons/weapon parts on a valid EFP
- Removal of weapons/weapon parts from a valid EFP
- You can combine multiple application options, such as having weapons/weapon parts entered on multiple European Firearms Passes or renewal of a EFP along with removal of weapons/weapon parts.
- Up to 10 weapons/weapon parts can be entered on a EFP. If more than 10 weapons are to be entered when a new pass is issued, an additional document is issued (follow-up document).
- If more weapons are to be added later on than can fit onto one document (up to 10 items), you need to choose the option “Issuance of a European Firearms Pass” for these.
- You can apply for an unlimited number of EFPs. The EFP is valid for five years and can be renewed for another five years. If only single loader rifles are entered, the pass is valid for ten years.
- If you wish to have additional weapons entered on a valid EFP, this will have no effect on the period of validity of the existing document.
Possession permit for firearms and the corresponding ammunition
The EFP can only be issued for individuals who already have a possession permit
(e.g. arms possession card) for the firearms/weapon parts and the corresponding ammunition that are to be entered.
Application for a European Firearms Pass
Can be completed online; or you can use the form.
- Online processing: please keep all required documents and certificates ready for upload in PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG or DOCX format. The files should be named as follows: firstname_surname_description.pdf
- As an alternative, you may submit the application by postal mail or e-mail: please post or email the signed application and all certificates and personal documents to the weapons authority of the Berlin police.
Details of weapons/weapon parts
- Detailed weapon type classification
- Calibre of the weapon
- Serial number
- Arms possession permit
Identity card or passport
As a photocopy or photograph
2 passport photos (with your name and date of birth on the back of the photos)
One photo is needed for the requested European Firearms Pass and another photo will remain with the authority. (Please make sure to write your name and date of birth on the back of the passport photos)
- You must submit the passport photos by postal mail.
Processing fees apply. You will receive a notification of charges. Processing will take place after receipt of payment.
- EUR 47.00: issuance or re-granting of a EFP
- EUR 25.00: renewal of the period of validity of a EFP
- EUR 15.00: entry or removal of each weapon/weapon part on/from the EFP
- EUR 17.00: follow-up document, if the maximum number of ten weapons/weapon parts per document is exceeded.
Average time to process request
The weapons authority will contact the applicant without being prompted to do so.