Weapons legislation – Applying for an alarm gun licence
The licence is valid indefinitely. The alarm gun licence and a valid identity card or passport (identification requirement) must be carried along with the weapon.
It is not necessary to present the alarm, gas or signal weapons when applying for an alarm gun licence. Please refer to the “alarm gun licence information sheet” for further restrictions and explanations regarding the alarm gun licence.
No alarm gun licence is required for carrying approved irritant spray devices.
Please take note of the “Prevention advice regarding defensive weapons” before you decide to apply for an alarm gun licence.
Application for an alarm gun licence
Can be completed online; or you can use the form.
- Online processing: please keep all required documents and certificates ready for upload in PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG or DOCX format. The files should be named as follows: firstname_surname_description.pdf
- As an alternative, you may submit the application by postal mail or e-mail: please post or email the signed application and all certificates and personal documents to the weapons authority of the Berlin police.
Identity card or passport
As a photocopy or photograph
Any previous registered addresses
If you lived outside Berlin in the past 5 years, please keep all addresses at hand as you will need to enter these in the application.
The application is subject to a fee. You will receive a notification of charges. Further processing will take place after receipt of payment. Up to 50% of the costs will be charged in the event of a negative decision.
- EUR 92.00: alarm gun licence
- EUR 61.00: for regular reliability reviews
- Weapons Act (WaffG) §10 section 4
- General Weapons Act Regulation (AWaffV)
- Schedule of fees related to weapons (WaffGebO) p. 1085 et seq.
- Waffengesetz (WaffG) § 6 Persönliche Eignung
- Criminal Code (StGB) §32 Self-defence
- Criminal Code (StGB) § 34 Justifiable state of emergency
- Gesetz über Gebühren und Beiträge (GebBtrG BE) § 9 Absatz 1
Average time to process request
After an application has been submitted, the weapons authority will contact the applicant without being prompted to do so.
- Alarm gun licence information sheet
- Information about weapons legislation – Information sheet for parents and teachers
- Information sheet about storing weapons and ammunition
- Prevention advice regarding defensive weapons
- Behavioural prevention of violence
- Weapons legislation overview – Weapons for which no permit is required
- Weapons authority of the Berlin police