Arms possession card (yellow) for sports marksmen
- single loader rifles with smooth and conventional barrels,
- long repeating rifles with conventional barrels,
- single-barrel single loader handguns for cartridge ammunition and
- multi-shot hand and long guns with primer ignition (percussion guns) and
- ammunition intended/approved for registered firearms.
- You are a sports markswoman/marksman
Minimum age: usually 25 years
By way of derogation, a few specific exceptions apply:
A minimum age of 18 applies for acquiring and owning firearms up to
- calibre 5.6 mm lfB (.22 lr) for rimfire ammunition, if the muzzle energy of the projectiles is no more than 200 joules, and
- single loader long rifles with smooth barrels with calibre 12 or less, provided that sport shooting with such weapons is permitted according to the approved sports regulations of a shooting association (§14 section 1 sentence 2 WaffG).
- a personal suitability certificate is presented (§6 section 3 WaffG) and
- other types of weapons than those indicated above are to be acquired and owned.
- Personal suitability
- Competency test
Necessity according to weapons legislation
Weapons Act (WaffG) §8, §14
Limitation of firearms
As a general rule, no more than two firearms may be acquired within six months (requirement to space out acquisitions).
Application for an arms possession card (yellow)
Can be completed online; or you can use the form.
- Online processing: please keep all required documents and certificates ready for upload in PDF, JPG, JPEG, PNG or DOCX format. The files should be named as follows: firstname_surname_description.pdf
- As an alternative, you may submit the application by postal mail or e-mail: please post or email the signed application and all certificates and personal documents to the weapons authority of the Berlin police.
Identity card or passport
As a photocopy or photograph
Certificate of need for sports marksmen
The certificate of need must be issued by a recognised association or section.
Proof of competence
Test certificate from the rifle association or certificate from an officially approved commercial competence training provider
Certificate of personal suitability (if you are under 25)
In the context of processing your application, we will ask you to submit this document at a later date.
Certificate of safe storage
The purchase receipt or a photo of the gun cabinet must be presented as proof of safe storage. The type plate with the serial number must be legible.
- Online processing: details about safe storage are requested immediately.
- Written application: you will be prompted to submit details of safe storage at a later date.
Any previous registered addresses
If you lived outside Berlin in the past 5 years, please keep all addresses at hand as you will need to enter these in the application.
The application is subject to a fee. You will receive a notification of charges. Further processing will take place after receipt of payment. Up to 50% of the costs will be charged in the event of a negative decision.
- EUR 107.00: arms possession card (yellow)
- EUR 61.00: every three years, for regular reliability reviews
- EUR 45.00: every five years, for verification of continued need
- EUR 30.00: for sports marksmen after another ten years each, for verification of continued need
- EUR 103.00: for weapons storage inspections
- EUR 51.00: for weapons storage inspections, if the inspection is repeated after less than three years