Medicinal products - register for the expert knowledge examination for the trade in over-the-counter medicinal products
In order to be able to offer so-called over-the-counter medicinal products in the trade, you must prove the corresponding expertise by passing an examination.
In principle, medicinal products may only be sold in pharmacies. However, there are exceptions for so-called over-the-counter medicines. These can be, for example, teas, ointments or tablets containing herbal substances such as valerian. If you want to sell these products in your shop, an employee with proven expertise must always be on site. You can prove this expertise by passing the examination.
- In the exam, you must be able to answer questions on, for example, the proper storage of over-the-counter medicines, possible dangers of overdosing the active ingredients and legal regulations on handling and selling. The questionnaire consists of 50 multiple-choice questions and 5 open questions.
- With a university degree or vocational training in the field of pharmacy, you may already have the expertise and do not need to prove it through a separate examination, more on this can be found in the further information.
- You register in writing or online with the competent Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK).
- The Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK) confirms your registration.
- You take the examination on the chosen date.
- If you pass the examination, you will receive a certificate afterwards.
- After receiving the certificate, you are allowed to sell medicines that are not subject to compulsory pharmacy sales.
Appearance in person
You must appear in person for the examination.
Observe registration deadline
Usually, the registration deadline is 3 weeks before the respective examination date.
Registration for the expert knowledge examination
Only online possible
You must register for this on the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK) Berlin' s registration portal.
- ID card with photo for identification at the examination
- Medicines Act (Arzneimittelgesetz or AMG) § 50
- Ordinance on Proof of Expertise in the Retail Trade of Over-the-Counter Medicinal Products (Verordnung über den Nachweis der Sachkenntnis im Einzelhandel mit freiverkäuflichen Arzneimitteln or AMSachKV) §§ 1 to 5
- Ordinance on medicinal products available only in pharmacies and over-the-counter medicinal products
- Examination regulations "Expertise in over-the-counter medicinal products"
- Fee schedule of the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (Section C.2.1)
Average time to process request
- Overview of the Chambers of Industry and Commerce in Germany
- List of professional qualifications recognised as expertise instead of the examination
- Information on the examination from Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce (Deutscher Industrie- und Handelskammertag or DIHK)
- Information on the Berlin Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK) examination
- Information sheet of the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK) Berlin
Industrie- und Handelskammer zu Berlin