Recognition of foreign professional qualifications - Public servants - career field technical services
The exercise of sovereign powers and the fulfilment of state tasks in Germany are predominantly carried out by persons who are employed as civil servants in a special public-law service and loyalty relationship.
The specialisation technical services includes the following career branches:
- civil engineering service,
- technical service at the Berlin Police Headquarters,
- surveying service,
- forestry service,
- environmental technical service,
- urban planning,
- land conservation,
- occupational Health and Safety Technical Service
- metrological service
- You submit an application for recognition of your professional qualification for the career field of technical services to the Senate Department for for urban development as the competent authority or to the Single Point of Contact. You will receive a confirmation of receipt.
- The competent authority will determine whether your qualification can be assigned to the qualification for the career specialisation and to a career segment of the careers of the State of Berlin.
- If the qualification can be assigned, the competent authority compares the preliminary and training requirements of the career qualification with your qualification certificates. If the authority determines that there is a qualification deficit, it must be checked whether this can be compensated for. In doing so, it must be examined whether the knowledge, skills and competences acquired following the acquisition of the qualification within the scope of your previous professional practice or through lifelong learning, which have been formally recognised as valid for this purpose by a relevant body, can compensate for the deficit in whole or in part.
- In the case of a qualification deficit that cannot be compensated for, recognition is dependent on passing an aptitude test or successfully completing an adaptation course or a preparatory service.
- The decision on the application shall be made in writing. With the successful completion of the recognition procedure, the qualification for the career specialisation and the respective career segment is acquired. It is possible that the career qualification is only recognised for certain tasks or offices (partial access).
- If the requirements for the recognition of the qualification are not met, you will receive a decision against which you have legal remedies according to the Administrative Court Code (objection procedure, if necessary legal action).
- The recognition of the qualification for a career field of the Berlin civil service is not associated with the placement of a position; you can apply for advertised positions.
At the time of employment or takeover, you should not yet have reached the age of 45. This age limit is postponed for periods of actual childcare up to one year for each child under 18 years of age and for periods of actual care of close relatives in need of care according to a medical certificate (parents, parents-in-law, spouses, registered partners, siblings or children) up to one year for each close relative, up to a maximum of three years in total.
You have the nationality
- of a member state of the European Union,
- of a state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area,
- of a third country to which the Federal Republic of Germany and the European Union have granted a corresponding entitlement to recognition of professional qualifications by treaty.
You offer the guarantee of standing up at all times for the free democratic basic order within the meaning of the Basic Law of the Federal Republic of Germany. You are not unsuitable for public servant status due to professional misconduct, criminal offences or comparable weighty reasons.
(under "Online processing")
In the application, you must state which public service activity you are seeking.
Curriculum vitae with a tabular presentation of the professional career
Proof of nationality
Proof of nationality of the member state or of a contracting state
Proof of qualifications
Proof of qualifications, e.g. training certificates, diplomas, certificates of graduation
Proof of good conduct
Certificates or documents from the home country or country of qualification stating that no criminal offences, serious professional misconduct or other circumstances calling the suitability into question are known; the certificates or documents must not be older than three months at the time of their presentation.
Certificate of authorisation to practise the profession
Certificate from the home country or country of qualification stating which professional practice the professional qualification entitles to there
Declaration on previous professional recognition procedures
Declaration as to whether and with which body within the Federal Republic of Germany recognition has already been applied for, and, if applicable, the decision issued in this regard.
Place of residence details
For statistical purposes, the information on the place of residence is required.
If necessary, proof of exercised activities
Certificates on the nature and duration of activities in the field of the qualification carried out in a member state after the acquisition of the qualification
If necessary, proof of competences acquired through lifelong learning
Certificates issued by a relevant body on knowledge, skills and competences acquired through lifelong learning
The competent authority may request you to submit further information on the content and duration of the completed training and on other professional qualifications in the form of study regulations, examination regulations, course books or in any other appropriate manner within a reasonable period of time, insofar as this is necessary to establish equivalence.
- Career Act (Laufbahngesetz or LfbG) §§ 23, 23a
- Professional Qualification Determination Act Berlin (Berufsqualifikationsfeststellungsgesetz Berlin or BQFG Bln) § 17
- Regulation on the recognition of professional qualifications from other countries of the European Union as career qualifications (VO Laufbahnbefähigung EU) §§ 2 et seq.
- Career Ordinance Technical Services (Laufbahnverordnung technische Dienste or LVO-TD)
- Ordinance on the training and examination for access to the second entry-level office in career group 2 of the technical services of the Land Berlin (APO-TD-Referendariat-VO)
- Ordinance on the selection procedure and the organisation of the service qualification and probationary period as well as the equivalent service qualification for the second entry-level office of career group 2 pursuant to §§ 22 and 23 of the Career Ordinance for Technical Services (Ordinance on §§ 22 and 23 of the Career Ordinance for Technical Services) (TDLbGr2AuswVfV BE)
- Ordinance on the training and examination for access to the first and second entry-level office of career group 2 of the career branch technical service labour protection (APO TD As Berlin)
- Ordinance on Training and Examination for the Career of the Intermediate Technical Service in the Labour Protection Administration (APOmD As)
- Ordinance on Training and Examination for the Higher and Intermediate Weights and Measures Service (APOeichtD)
- Act on Fees and Contributions (Gesetz über Gebühren und Beiträge or GebBtrG BE) § 8