The following professional titles: Architect, interior designer, garden and landscape architect and urban planner are protected in Germany. You may only use this professional title if you have been approved by your Chamber of Architects subject to
For external architects and urban planners
- registration in the Directory of Architects and Urban Planners or
- registration as a capital or private company in the Directory of Professional Associations.
an entry in the Directory of Foreign Architects and Urban Planners is required:
You must be entered in the directory, if you:
Working without professional title
- are legally established in another member state of the European Union (EU) or in another state party to the agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA) for the practising of a comparable activity and
- you would like to exercise this activity temporarily and occasionally in Berlin (temporary services),
You have studied architecture (building construction, interior design and landscape architecture) or urban planning at a foreign university outside the European Union (EU)?
- Then you can apply to the Berlin job market and work as an architect (e.g. as an employee in an architectural office).
- However, you are not allowed to use the professional title "architect" or "urban planner" and you are not entitled to submit building documents.
The professional title "Architect" is protected in Germany and requires formal permission. You can have your foreign degree assessed at the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (ZAB)
. Subsequently you apply for entry in the "List of Architects" at the competent Chamber of Architects and may then officially use the protected professional title.
Between 80 Euro and 515 Euro depending on the application variant. Further information can be found in the fee regulations of the Berlin Chamber of Architects.
The Berlin Chamber of Architects is responsible for registration in the Directory of Architects / Urban Planners