Residence permit for skilled employment in information and communication technology

[You can no longer book an appointment for this service. This service is replaced by "Applying for an EU Blue Card".]

For skilled employment in the field of information and communication technology, a residence permit can be issued independently of qualification as a specialist.
The applicant must have a comparable qualification acquired in the last seven years with at least three years of professional experience in this field.

The residence permit is issued for the duration of the approval granted by the Federal Employment Agency. A new approval from the Federal Employment Agency is required to extend the residence permit or when changing employers.

Please note: Are you a specialist with academic education or vocational training?
Please read more about which residence permit is right for you in the "More information" section.


  • [[|This service is replaced by the service "Applying for an EU Blue Card". If you would like to change the appointment you have already booked, please contact the LEA.]]
  • Qualification in the field of information and communication technology
    In the past seven years, a proven comparable qualification has been acquired with at least three years of professional experience in this field.
  • Employment
    You already have an employment contract or a confirmed offer.
  • Minimum salary
    The salary must correspond to at least 60% of the annual contribution ceiling in the general pension insurance scheme.
    For 2023, this ceiling is EUR 52,560.00 per year / EUR 4,380.00 per month.
  • Employment in Germany
    • An employment relationship in Germany must be established.
    • In addition, the employer must have a place of business in Germany.
  • Approval of the Federal Employment Agency
    The residence permit may only be granted if approved by the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit (BA)). The Berlin Immigration Office consults the BA in an internal procedure once the application for a residence permit has been submitted.
  • As a general rule: Sufficient German language skills
    • Sufficient German language skills at level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages are regularly required.
    • Proof of German language skills can be waived in justified individual cases.
  • Main residence in Berlin
  • A personal interview is required
    Please make an appointment for this.

Documents required

  • Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
    Only required for the first application.
  • Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" (filled out)
  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Current employment contract
  • Proof of employment in the past seven years
    Employment contracts, job references, CV
  • Lease or proof of home ownership
  • Rental cost / expenses for property
    Supporting documents proving monthly rent costs (e.g. a current account statement) or the costs of the occupied property (original)
  • If the residence permit is being extended: Certificate of employment
    Certificate from the employer regarding the duration of the unfinished employment not older than 14 days)
  • If the residence permit is being extended for further employment with the same employer: Proof of salary
    Supporting documents on the net earnings from the first two months and the last two months
  • Proof of your health insurance
    in the case of statutory health insurance:
    • electronic health card with photograph
    • current confirmation of the health insurance

    in the case of a private health insurance scheme:
    • proof that you have paid your contributions, for example through account statements
    • certificate issued by the insurer (The certificate must state the type, scope and duration of the insurance. Please inform your insurer that you need the certificate for a residence permit for employment.)

    More on the topic in the section "More information"
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
    More on the topic in the section "More information"


  • For the first issuance: 100.00 euros
  • For an extension by up to three months: 96.00 euros
  • For an extension by more than three months: 93.00 euros

Average time to process request

Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.

Hinweise zur Zuständigkeit

This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.

Für Sie zuständig