Recognition of foreign professional qualifications - youth/child care worker (Erzieher(in)) am Standort Single Point of Contact

 Larger map


Opening hours

  • Monday

      by appointment only
  • Tuesday

      by appointment only
  • Wednesday

      by appointment only
  • Thursday

      by appointment only
  • Friday

      by appointment only


  • Rathaus Schöneberg: 104, M46, about 3 minutes walk
  • Insbrucker Platz: S42, S41, S46, about 10 minutes walk
  • Rathaus Schöneberg: U4, about 3 minutes walk

Payment options

  • Payment is not provided


Recognition of foreign professional qualifications - youth/child care worker (Erzieher(in))

As an ‘Erzieherin’ or ‘Erzieher’ you can work at a daycare facility for children (Kindertagesstätte, Kita) in Berlin. Further areas in which this type of professional is needed include primary schools, youth facilities and home care for children and adolescents. As a state recognised youth/child care worker (‘staatlich anerkannte(r) Erzieher(in)’) you can choose the age group you would like to work with.

Social-education professions are regulated in Berlin and in Germany. This means that to perform such jobs you require state approval. This approval can be granted, if you apply for your professional qualification to be reviewed to determine equivalence. The review of equivalence takes place based on the provisions of the law regarding the recognition of qualifications in caring professions (Sozialberufe-Anerkennungsgesetzes (SozBAG)).


  • Foreign professional qualification
    You have acquired a comparable professional qualification as a youth/child care worker in another country.
  • Application for determination of equivalence
    You have not applied for recognition in another federal state to date.
  • Personal suitability
    According to § 5 of the law regarding the recognition of qualifications in caring professions (SozBAG), state recognition cannot be granted if you have been found guilty of any serious offences that are associated with untrustworthiness to practise the profession. To verify this, we require an extended certificate of good conduct for presentation to an authority pursuant to § 30 a of the Central Federal Register Law (BZRG). Any previous convictions are listed on the certificate of good conduct. State recognition can be granted if the certificate of good conduct has no entries.
  • German language skills
    To receive state recognition, your German skills must be at least at level C1 of the common European framework of reference for languages.

Documents required

  • Application
    (under ‘Online Processing’ or ‘Forms’)
    The social-educational profession ‘Erzieher’ or ‘Erzieherin’ (qualified youth/child care worker) is regulated through state recognition. Equivalence of your professional qualification to this profession is reviewed upon request.
  • Curriculum vitae
    An up to date curriculum vitae in tabular form in German (listing your education, training and work experience).
  • Identity card
    Copy of your identity card or other official identification document containing a photograph
    Your residence permit if already present, and provided that you are not a citizen of an EU state.
  • Evidence of the intention to perform gainful activities in the State of Berlin
    • A copy of your police registration in the state of Berlin (registration with the registration office) if you already live in Berlin (see ‘Further Information’).
    • If you are not yet a resident of Berlin, you will need evidence of your intention to work in Berlin. This could be a copy of an employment contract or evidence of contact with an employer in Berlin. At the very least, we will require a statement that you intend to work in Berlin.
  • Evidence of your foreign professional qualification
    • A copy of your original general school-leaving qualification or university entrance examination
    • A copy of your certificate of your professional qualification in the original language, including a detailed overview of teaching subjects and hours (diploma supplement/study book) in theory and practice.
    Please enclose a German translation of these documents.
  • Certificate of marriage
    You are only required to submit a copy of your marriage certificate if it is associated with a change of name. Please enclose a German translation of these documents.
  • Evidence of relevant work experience and other evidence of competence
    e.g. references from employers, professional training measures, courses or other seminars.
    Please enclose a German translation of these documents.
  • Evidence from the country of origin
    Evidence of your qualification to practise the profession in the country you have trained in, provided that the profession is regulated in this country.
    Please enclose a German translation of these documents.
  • Documents in German
    • You must present your documents in German. Translations must be prepared by publicly appointed or authorised translators.
    • Translations of foreign documents that are not written in the Latin alphabet must also include a transliteration of the professional title pursuant to the ISO standard.
    • No German translation is necessary for any documents that were originally issued in English.


EUR 100.00

Hinweise zur Zuständigkeit

You can only submit your request for determination of equivalence in Berlin, if you intend to work in this regulated profession in Berlin in the future.


Stellen Sie unserem Chatbot Bobbi im Service-Portal Ihre Fragen.