Are you are a foreign skilled worker who wishes to work in Germany in a non-regulated profession and also already have a concrete job offer?
But your professional qualification has not yet been fully recognised by the competent body in Germany because there are still practical deficiencies?
If so, as a rule you will be granted a temporary residence permit for the purpose of working in your profession in Germany so that the practical deficiencies can be made up for and you can obtain confirmation from the competent body of the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification.
The temporary residence permit will be granted for the duration of your employment contract and for a maximum of up to two years.
Upon the successful completion of the measure you may be granted a further temporary residence permit, particularly for the purpose of job-seeking or for employment as a qualified skilled worker.
Your professional qualification has not yet been recognised
The body in Germany competent for the recognition of your professional qualification has established with a decision (so-called deficiency decision) that key skills, knowledge and practical abilities are lacking.
Concrete offer for a job
For the costs of general subsistence, rent and health insurance you must be able to dispose of own funds in the amount of € 920.00 per month.
Elementary knowledge of German at GER level A 2
See section „More information“
Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
Deficiency decision of the recognition body
The decision must establish partial equivalence of your foreign professional qualification to a German professional qualification.
A concrete job offer with a draft employment contract is also sufficient.
Proof that the employment will make up for the existing practical deficiencies
Proof may be provided through
- a clause in the employment contract with which the employer undertakes to enable the established significant deficiencies to be made up for during the employment, or
- the submission of a training plan
For the approval of the Federal Employment Agency: additional forms (filled out by your employer)
- Form „Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis“ (job description)
- Form “Zusatzblatt A” (Additional Sheet A)
see section "Forms"
Proof of elementary knowledge of German at GER level A 2
Proof of secured livelihood
Your subsistence costs must be secured through income from the employment.
in the case of statutory health insurance:
- electronic health card with photograph
- current confirmation of the health insurance
in the case of a private health insurance scheme:
- proof that you have paid your contributions, for example through account statements
- certificate issued by the insurer
Proof of your residence
for example through
- Certificate of registration at the main residence (see section "More information") or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord (See section "Forms")
- 100.00 euros
- For Turkish nationals a maximum of 28.80 euros
Average time to process request
Around 5–6 weeks
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.
Landesamt für Einwanderung (LEA)