Residence permit for qualified workers wishing to search for an employment - Issue at the location Ausländerbehörde Berlin, zum Business Immigration Service (BIS)

Berlin.de map
 Larger map

Current information on this location

In collaboration with IHK Berlin and Berlin Partner, our Business Immigration Service (BIS) offers Berlin businesses an outstanding relocation service for foreign professionals and executives.

Through the BIS, Berlin businesses, foreign investors and start-ups, managers, highly skilled professionals and their families can quickly and easily clarify any residency issues and can be put in touch directly with the person responsible for dealing with them.

Please note:

  • The service is only available to registered customers and after arranging an appointment with us.
  • Therefore we are unfortunately not able to help walk-in customers without an appointment.
  • You can find more information about the service of the Business Immigration Service on our website.

Opening hours

No information available.

Information on the address of this location

The postal address differs from the address of the location.
Therefore, please always send letters to Ausländerbehörde, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin.

Payment options

Payment cannot be made at this location.

Residence permit for qualified workers wishing to search for an employment - Issue

Issue of a residence permit for qualified workers wishing to search for employment befitting their qualifications (employment contract or self-employment).

This residence permit cannot be issued to foreigners already resident in the Federal territory with another residence permit that does not entitle the holder to pursue an economic activity.

The residence permit is issued for a period of six months and does not represent an entitlement to practice an occupation. There is no possibility of extending this residence permit for the same purpose again.


  • Possession of a qualification from a German Hochschule, an accredited foreign university or university college qualification, or a foreign university or university college qualification comparable to a German Hochschule qualification
    It is possible to submit a query to the online database of the Central Office for Foreign Education Affairs (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen, ZAB) to determine if the foreign university or university college qualification is recognised in Germany (see links for more information).

    If the database does not contain any relevant information, applicants are required to apply to the ZAB to have their qualification specifically evaluated against payment of a fee and to present their qualification certificate to the ZAB (see links for more information).
  • Possession of a residence permit that allows pursuit of an economic activity (only in the case of previous residency)
    In the case of foreigners already resident in the Federal territory with another residence permit, this permit must have been issued for an occupation or self-employed activity (sections 18 - 21 of Residence Act).
    Generally a residence permit for another purpose of residence cannot be issued during a stay for study purposes or family reasons, for example.
  • Main residence in Berlin
  • A personal interview is required
    Nationals of these states can book an appointment online for the interview:
    Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, South Korea, New Zealand and United States of America

Documents required

  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • University or university college qualification (original and copy)
    together with evaluation / statement of the ZAB if applicable (see 'Prerequisites')
  • Health insurance
    A travellers’ health insurance will do.
  • Proof of a secure livelihood
    Statement of earnings certificate, salary slips, bank statements, etc.
  • The form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit)
    A residence permit may only be issued upon formal request.
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Certificate of registration at the main residence or
    • lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord


  • 56.00 Euro
  • Free of charge for Turkish citizens

Average time to process request

The residence permit will generally be issued as an adhesive label in your passport on the same day.