If you have a university degree you can get an EU Blue Card to enable you to work in Germany. A certain minimum salary is necessary for this.
The EU Blue Card has several advantages compared with a residence permit for the purpose of employment. For example, it enables you to obtain the right of permanent residence more quickly. There is more information about the benefits in the “More information” section.
The EU Blue Card is valid for a maximum of 4 years. If you have a fixed-term employment contract, it can also come into effect more quickly. Normally it also lasts 3 months longer than your employment contract.
For the first two years of employment, approval from the Foreigners’ Registration Office must be obtained before any change of job.
You have foreign family members in Berlin who also need a residence title??
Then please make an appointment together to apply for the EU Blue Card and the residence permits for your family members. You can find the necessary documents for your family members here.
Specific university degree
- a degree from a German university or
- a degree from a foreign university which is recognised in Germany, or
- a different degree from a foreign university which is comparable to a German degree.
You can check the “anabin” database to see whether your foreign degree is recognised. You will find a link to this database in the “More information” section.
If your degree is not evaluated in this database, you can have a certificate assessment carried out specially for your degree. This will incur additional costs. You can find more about certificate assessment in the “More information” section.
You already have an employment contract or a concrete offer.
You can only get the EU Blue Card if you earn enough. The amount you need to earn depends on your job.
- If you work in a shortage occupation, you need to earn EUR 3,588 gross per month or more. (This equates to EUR 43,056 per year.)
Shortage occupations are specific occupations for which there are not enough workers in Germany. These professions at present are: Scientists in natural science disciplines, mathematicians, architects, interior, urban and traffic planners, designers, engineers, scientific engineers, physicians (except dentists) and those with academic qualifications in information and communications technology.
- If you are working in another profession, you will need to earn EUR 4,600 gross per month or more. (This equates to 55.200 Euro per year.)
Note: Success bonuses and other fully variable special payments are not taken into account.
Possibly: Approval of the German Federal Employment Agency
You need the approval of the Federal Employment Agency if you
- work in a shortage occupation and
- earn less than EUR 4,600 gross per month and
- do not have a degree from a German university.
Depending on the profession: Occupation practice permit
For some jobs you need a special permit, for example for human medicine. If you do not know whether you need this special permit, please ask your employer.
You have health insurance in Germany, either in the statutory health insurance system or a comparable private health insurance.
Foreign health insurance is not sufficient.
Main residence in Berlin
Please submit your application to your local office. We recommend that you book an appointment online.
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels"
see section "Forms"; only required on first application
For the approval of the Federal Employment Agency: additional forms
- Form „Antrag auf Erlaubnis einer Beschäftigung“ (filled out by you)
- Form „Stellenbeschreibung“ (completed by your employer)
For both forms see section "Forms"
Proof of your residence
for example by
- Certificate of registration at the main residence (Melde-Bestätigung) or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord (Wohnungsgeber-Bestätigung)
Current biometric photo
University or university college qualification (Original)
If necessary: Zeugnisbewertung
If your foreign degree is not evaluated in the “anabin” database, please submit a certificate assessment to the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB).
Your employment contract or job offer (Original)
If necessary: Occupation practice permit
Proof of your health insurance
for statutory health insurance:
- electronic health card with photo
- up-to-date confirmation of health insurance
for private health insurance:
- Proof that you have paid your contributions, for example through account statements
- Certificate from the insurance company
The certificate must state the type, scope and duration of the insurance. Please tell your insurance company that you need the certificate for a residence permit for the purpose of employment.
- For the initial issuance: 100.00 euros
- For an extension of up to three months: 96.00 euros
- For an extension of more than three months: 93.00 euros
- For Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros
Should you need an evaluation of qualifications, additional costs will be incurred.
Average time to process request
Since the EU Blue Card is generally issued as an electronic residence permit, it is recommended that the interview takes place 8 weeks before your previous residence title expires.
You can only make use of this service at the Berlin Immigration Office,
at the Berlin-Charlottenburg site, Keplerstraße 2.
Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten
Landesamt für Einwanderung