Issuance or extension of a residence permit for
- The spouses or life partners of the same sex of German or foreign residents with a valid residence permit
- Under-age, unmarried children of German or foreign residents with a valid residence permit
- Parents of German children
- Parents of foreign children with a residence title pursuant to § 23 para. 4, § 25 para. 1, § 25 para. 2 or § 26 para. 3, if no parent with an entitlement to personal care is a resident of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Parents of foreign children with a settlement permit pursuant to § 26 para. 4 (if a residence permit pursuant to § 25 para. 2 s. 1, 2. Alt. had previously been issued), if no parent with an entitlement to personal care is a resident of the Federal Republic of Germany
Your family member has a residence permit for one the the following purposes:
- other educational purposes
- recognition of foreign professional qualifications
- visiting scholar or academic staff
Then please read the following information: Residence permit for spouses and children of trainees, students, academics and teachers
Marriage or same sex civil partnership
Underage unmarried children
Family unit in Berlin
Main residence in Berlin
Joint visit of the family
A joint visit by all family members (the married couple / same sex civil partners, parents, underage foreign children) is required. The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
A visit by the foreign child is not required if it is under the age of 6.
If the foreign father of a German child applies for a residence permit without being accompanied by the child's mother, confirmation (not older than 14 days) is required from the Youth Welfare Office (Jugendamt) regarding the degree of contact he has with his child.
A passport must be submitted for each member of the family.
ID-Card of the German national
For German spouses / same sex civil partners, the personal identity card (Personalausweis) is also sufficient.
Kinderausweis (Child's identity card)
Child's identity cards (Kinderausweis) must be submitted for German children.
1 current biometric photo of each foreign member of the family
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Marriage certificate/ partnership certificate
With apostille if the marriage / partnership
took place abroad;
Original and copy (only required for the first application)
Birth certificate for underage children
Only required for the first application
Certificate regarding legal custody
A certificate regarding legal custody must always be presented if
- the foreign father is not married to the child's mother and the residence permit application affects care and custody
- an under-age, foreign child applies for a residence permit and one of the parents is not resident in Germany.
Original and copy (only required for the first application)
Lease that states the current rental cost
Original and copy
(Not required for the first application of wifes/husbands, parents or children of German citizens)
Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance.
Please read the leaflet for more information. (Not required for the first application of wifes/husbands, parents or children of German citizens)
Proof of the secured livelihood of the family in the shared household
When calculating the means of livelihood, also those persons are taken into account with whom the foreigner lives in a shared household or for whom the foreigner is obliged to provide a livelihood.
A shared household includes, in particular, couples, both or single parents and unmarried children under 25 years of age all living together in one common household. Therefore, all family members with their own income in the shared household must submit the following documents of proof in regard to their respective income.
Employees: Employment contract, current certificate of employment (not older than 14 days), last 6 salary slips, for the extension of the residence permit additionally a certificate on paid contributions or adequate provision for an old-age pension; each original and copy
Self employed: Audit report form (Prüfungsbericht), prepared by a tax consultant, auditor or lawyer for tax law
Possibly a current proof of receiving benefits according to SGB II or XII or the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act.
(Means of subsistence are not required for the first application of wifes/husbands, parents or children of German citizens)
Current certificate of school attendance (not older than 14 days)
For children who are required to attend school
All certificates showing participation in the integration (Only in case of extension).
If you were required to enrol by the Registration Office for Foreigners you have to show all certificates showing participation in the integration course.
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
Only required for the first application for every member of the family;
Available in German, English, French, Italian, Greek, Turkish, Serboc-Croatian, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian
The following fees are assessed based on the actual technical effort when extending the residence permit.
From 01.09.2017 they are:
- For adults: 56.00 to 100.00 euros for the initial issuance of the residence permit; 49.00 to 96.00 euros for each extension of the residence permit
- For minors: 28.00 to 50.00 euros for the initial issuance of the residence permit; 24.50 to 48.00 euros for each extension of the residence permit
- For Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros
Free of charge when presenting current proof of receiving benefits according to SGB II or XII or the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act.
Average time to process request
To ensure timely renewal of your current visa or residence permit an appointment should be made 4-6 weeks before the expiry date.
The residence permit will generally be issued as an adhesive label in your passport. Electronic residence permits can at the moment only be issued in exceptional circumstances.
Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten